Krkonoše Photo - 1 Krkonoše Photo - 2 Krkonoše Photo - 3 Krkonoše Photo - 4 Krkonoše Photo - 5 Krkonoše Photo - 6


krkonose.eu » Tourist Destinations, A to Z » Krakonosovo Square

Krakonosovo Square

Print
Krakonosovo Square
Krakonošovo náměstí Krakonošovo náměstí trutnov náměstí kašna trutnov náměstí morový sloup trutnov náměstí pomník trutnov náměstí radnice
Krakonošovo náměstí 72, 541 01 Trutnov
Email: vesely@trutnov.cz
Phone: +420 499 818 245
Web: http://www.trutnov.cz
Map: View

The main square in Trutnov was established in the 13th century during the reign of the last Premysl family members. It has always been a centre of social and political life in the town. It is dominated by the 16th century Renaissance town hall building decorated with sgraffito, built after a project by an Italian architect, Carol Valmadi. It had to be rebuilt after a fire in 1861 and the style was changed to the Neo-Gothic. The square is surrounded by mostly two-storey buildings with open arcades, rebuilt many times after 13 disastrous fires. Originally Gothic and Renaissance buildings, they feature many neo-historic architectural styles today. Trutnov square is decorated with a fountain with a statue of Krakonos and four dwarfs, dating back to 1892 when it replaced a fountain built in 1792 with a mythical dragon, which was moved to the town park. The Column of the Holy Trinity, built in the late Baroque style in 1704, is another valuable historical sight in the square. A 2-m tall statue of Emperor Joseph II, made after a design by Prof. Poninger from Vienna, was placed in the square in 1886 and removed in 1923.