Krkonoše Photo - 1 Krkonoše Photo - 2 Krkonoše Photo - 3 Krkonoše Photo - 4 Krkonoše Photo - 5 Krkonoše Photo - 6


krkonose.eu » Tourist Destinations, A to Z » Church of St. Nicholas

Church of St. Nicholas

Print
Church of St. Nicholas
Kostel sv. Mikuláše Kostel sv. Mikuláše
, 512 36 Horní Branná
Email: ou@hbranna.cz
Phone: +420 481 584 178
Web: http://www.hbranna.cz
Map: View

Originally, the wooden Church of St. Nicholas in Horni Branna was the oldest church in the entire submontane region. During the Hussite wars in the 15th century, the parish of Dolni Branna was burnt down and the church demolished. The new stone church was built in 1557. However, as the building wasn’t particularly big, the Horni Branna knight, Jiri Sipar Zasmucky of Zasmuky, had it extended at his own expense in around 1600. Thanks to a donation from Count Ferdinand of Harrach, a stone church spire, 40.3 m tall, with the memorable bell Nicholas was built on the site of the wooden belfry in 1700. The Gothic church was complemented with a Baroque Chapel of the Holy Trinity around 1740, where a valuable cross clad in mother of pearl, an Italian art work dating back to the 17th century, is lodged. The interior furnishings are dominated by the wooden high altar with a painting of St. Nicholas. The old painting was removed in 1857 to be replaced by a new painting by Prof. Jan Kostinec (1834-1905) from Prague. The side altar of the Holy Cross, also referred to as the Zasmucky altar, was made upon order from virgin Anna Marie of Zasmuky. It is decorated with a gold-plated painting of the Crucifixion.